Whataburger hosts fundraiser to support San Antonio Food Bank’s SA Goes Orange
September 1, 2017 -- Whataburger is proud to announce we’re partnering with the San Antonio Food Bank for the eighth year in a row to support their SA Goes Orange initiative. Throughout the month of September, SA Goes Orange aims to raise awareness for hunger prevention. In addition to donating $25,000, Whataburger will also host a fundraiser Sept. 12-26 to raise money for the food bank (this effort is especially important as funds support Hurricane Harvey victims in the area).
Here’s how the fundraiser works: customers who donate $1 or more to the San Antonio Food Bank will receive a coupon for a free Whataburger with purchase of a medium fry and 32-ounce drink for their next visit.
Through cash donations and past fundraiser events, the company has raised more than $225,000 for the food bank over the past eight years.
In addition to the fundraiser, Whataburger is also activating its employees, called Family Members, to volunteer at the food bank and raise awareness for SA Goes Orange:
Volunteer Days at the Food Bank, Sept. 16 and Sept. 23:
- 80 Family Members will sort and pack donations for families and disaster relief efforts.
- This year is especially important as the Food Bank extends its programs to support Hurricane Harvey victims in the surrounding areas.
- During a disaster, food banks are on the front lines providing relief to families that have lost access to essential nutrients and resources.
- They ensure that monetary donations, food and supplies are directly distributed to affected areas following a storm with the help of volunteers, community and partner agencies.
SAGO by the Numbers
- Number of meals $1 provides: 7 meals
- Total amount raised in 8 years of partnership: More than $225,000
- Last year’s contributions: $40,000 to the Food Bank and more than 280,000 meals to the community
Whataburger has focused on its fresh, made-to-order burgers and friendly customer service since 1950 when Harmon Dobson opened the first Whataburger as a small roadside burger stand in Corpus Christi, Texas. Today, the company is headquartered in San Antonio with more than 900 locations across its 14-state footprint and sales of more than $3 billion annually. Whataburger is a 2022 Top Workplaces winner. The brand has more than 50,000 Family Members (employees) and more than 60 million customers who like to customize their Whataburgers just like they like it. Visit whataburger.com for more information. To apply for Whataburger jobs, visit whataburger.com/careers.